The Coffee Shop

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Coffee Shop

A place for general discussion on numerous topics including history, news, religion, cultures and more!

4 posters

Rastafari movement

Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Rastafari movement Empty Rastafari movement

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:20 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari_movement

The Rastafari movement (also known as Rastafari or simply Rasta) is a monotheistic, Abrahamic, new religious movement that accepts Haile Selassie I, the former Emperor of Ethiopia, as the incarnation of God, called Jah or Jah Rastafari. Haile Selassie is also seen as part of the Holy Trinity and as the returned messiah promised in the Bible.

Other characteristics of Rastafari include the spiritual use of cannabis, rejection of western society (called "Babylon"), and various Afrocentric social and political aspirations, such as the teachings of Jamaican publicist, organizer, and black separatist Marcus Garvey (also often regarded as a prophet), whose political and cultural vision helped inspire Leonard Howell to develop the foundations of this new world view. The Rastafari movement predominantly emerged in Jamaica in the 20th century, and it proclaims Africa (also "Zion") as the original place where the body of the first man was found, which established independency among blacks.

The name Rastafari comes from Ras (literally "Head," an Ethiopian title equivalent to Duke), and Tafari Makonnen, the pre-coronation name of Haile Selassie I. Rastafari is commonly called "Rastafarianism", but this term is considered derogatory and offensive by Rastas themselves.

World-views and doctrines

Jah

Rastafari are monotheists, worshiping one, singular, God whom they call Jah. Rastas see Jah as being in the form of the Holy Trinity, that is, God being the God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

Rastas say that Jah, in the form of the Holy Spirit, lives within the human, and for this reason they often refer to themselves as "I and I".

Rastas usually accept the Christian doctrine that God incarnated onto the Earth in the form of Jesus Christ, to give his teachings to humanity. However, they often feel his teachings were corrupted by Babylon. Many Rastas, in accordance with their assertion that "word, sound is power", also object specifically to the English pronunciation of his name (/dʒi:zəs/) as impure, preferring instead to use the forms in Hebrew (Yehoshuah) or Amharic ('Iyesus).

Integral to the basic Rastafari world-view is that Jah, as the Messiah or Christ, was incarnated again, this time as the Ethiopian Emperor, Haile Selassie (Ras Tafari). A few Rastas also claim that Melchizedek, an Old Testament figure, was a previous incarnation of Jah.

Jesus Christ

Most Rastas agree, as do the majority of Christians, that Jesus Christ is an incarnation of God on Earth. They consider that Jesus gave Jah's teachings to humanity, but they were distorted by Babylon. For this reason, it was prophesied in the Book of Revelation that Jesus would return. Rastas hold that this was fulfilled when Haile Selassie was born, whom they see as a reincarnation of Jesus, and therefore Jah, onto the Earth.

Rastas say that Jesus was black, and that white society (or Babylon) has commonly depicted him as white for centuries in order to suppress the truth and gain dominion over all peoples.
    I see...
    I see...

Rastafari movement Empty Re: Rastafari movement

Post  I see... Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:52 am

Haile hated them.

He's a very interesting character as it happens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Selassie_I_of_Ethiopia
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Sir Bonvolio wrote:Haile hated them.

Surely not?

Defying expectations of the Jamaican authorities,[128] Haile Selassie never rebuked the Rastafari for their belief in him as the returned Jesus. Instead, he presented the movement's faithful elders with gold medallions – the only recipients of such an honor on this visit

From your link....

Post  17 Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:28 am

Haile... Thrived from them.
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:04 am

I never see any Rasta's these days.

Is it a recognised religon, in the UK?

Or in the US? In if so, does that recognition permit them to partake in the herb for 'spiritual purposes'?
    lisan24

Post  lisan24 Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:47 am

It's a recognized religion here in the US, they are allowed to smoke marijuana as it's is also considered a recognized "sacrament".
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:29 am

lisan24 wrote:It's a recognized religion here in the US, they are allowed to smoke marijuana as it's is also considered a recognized "sacrament".

How does a group actually get recognised legal status as being a religion, in the US?

Is it down to the numbers of supposed followers?

Do you have to show a certain number, before you are granted it?

In theory, if enough people created a new religion, and as part of your 'sacrement', you took heroin, then, in theory, the state would have to allow for that, right?
    lisan24

Post  lisan24 Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:27 pm

I have no idea, I just googled and found that it was a recognized religion.
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:08 am

lisan24 wrote:I have no idea, I just googled and found that it was a recognized religion.

I was having a think about what the criterea might be. I am sure it is out there on the net, a definitive account, however, having just come in, and I am cold, I will save the search for later.

Can it be something to do with numbers? I am sure that some time ago, some daft Star Wars, George Lucas 'religion', tried to gain legal recognition here in the UK, however, they fell somewhat short of the required number of members.

Yet, that cannot apply in the US, can it? There are many small (and recognised) religions in the US, so in the case of the US, I don't think it is down to numbers.

How about belief in a supernatural 'creator'?

Again, one might think this would be an obvious criterea, yet have a look on the net at the site of the Creativity Movement.

They are essentially a white supremacist group in the US, who do not believe in any divine creator, they believe white man to be 'gods', of a fashion. Yet, AFAIK, they are a recognised 'religion'.

So far, Lisa, all I seem to be doing is establishing what the requirements are NOT.

scratch

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 9:48 pm