The Coffee Shop

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Coffee Shop

A place for general discussion on numerous topics including history, news, religion, cultures and more!

3 posters

How Do Recent Events Effect Peace Process...

Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

How Do Recent Events Effect Peace Process... Empty How Do Recent Events Effect Peace Process...

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:00 pm

Last week, for the first time since the formal ceasefire, some years ago, two soldiers and (I think) one civilian were shot dead.

Their killers?

A splinter group of the old Provo IRA, called 'Continuity IRA'.

It is believed that they are very small in number, disorganised, and yet, capable of murder, as we have seen.

Last news I heard was that three men had been arrested in connection with the killings.

It has been some time since those in mainland UK had to fear the threat of IRA bombs, and I really hope that the (terrible) actions of a few psychopaths does not damage that particular landscape.
    I see...
    I see...

How Do Recent Events Effect Peace Process... Empty Re: How Do Recent Events Effect Peace Process...

Post  I see... Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Like the Orange Order, they are a relic from a bygone age clinging to archaic ideologies that condones the murder of heathens.
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

How Do Recent Events Effect Peace Process... Empty Re: How Do Recent Events Effect Peace Process...

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Look it this way, though.

When a dissident group engage in a terrible act such as this, in the name of being freedom fighters, the response of the British Army is not to then carpet bomb Ireland.

Contrast that to the actions of Israel.

Hamas and their crude arsenal of weapons do not speak for the Palestinian children.

They don't act on behalf of the Palestine children.

Yet, Israel's response to the actions of Hamas is to bomb areas of Gaza that are densely populated with children.

The way that the situation in the OP has been handled, is better.

Don't punish the innocent, actually track down those specifically responsible for any crimes or acts of violence, and use the legal process to tackle them.
    I see...
    I see...

Post  I see... Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:06 pm

Or, if you can't sort you're own borders out, don't fuck around in other people's countries...
    Theophilus
    Theophilus

Post  Theophilus Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:56 pm

I thought this was settled. I was really shocked as an American to see this news. Why because I don't know all in's and out's to this. I did think however this issue was settled. Now I am seeing stories about riots. Is this true?
    I see...
    I see...

Post  I see... Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:35 am

Just watched a Macintyre undercover that was shot in Jan/Feb 09, Dublin has a higher murder rate than London, despite being 10 times smaller, Is regarded by the EU to be the easiest place to buy class A drugs and in 2008 had 21 gang realted shootings in a population of 4 million people. (Many other stabbings and beatings too).

It wont be right for a long time over there...

Another country fucked up because the empire was greedy and ridiculous...
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:56 am

Sir Bonvolio wrote:Just watched a Macintyre undercover that was shot in Jan/Feb 09, Dublin has a higher murder rate than London, despite being 10 times smaller, Is regarded by the EU to be the easiest place to buy class A drugs and in 2008 had 21 gang realted shootings in a population of 4 million people. (Many other stabbings and beatings too).

Really? I would not have guessed at that. Still, I suppose all the former IRA members had to do something following the peace agreement. They pretended they fought for a noble cause before, when in fact, all that they were are gangsters. Sort of like how the original Sicilian Mafia first established itself.
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 am

Theophilus wrote:I thought this was settled. I was really shocked as an American to see this news. Why because I don't know all in's and out's to this. I did think however this issue was settled. Now I am seeing stories about riots. Is this true?

It is officially settled, and has been for some time.

Continuity IRA and the Real IRA are not to be confused with the Provisional IRA.

The former two have never accepted, nor will ever accept, any peace agreement.

CIRA and RIRA were off shoots of the IRA, who they felt had become too moderate(sic).
    I see...
    I see...

Post  I see... Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:15 am

Yeah Well Fine Then wrote:
    Sir Bonvolio wrote:Just watched a Macintyre undercover that was shot in Jan/Feb 09, Dublin has a higher murder rate than London, despite being 10 times smaller, Is regarded by the EU to be the easiest place to buy class A drugs and in 2008 had 21 gang realted shootings in a population of 4 million people. (Many other stabbings and beatings too).

Really? I would not have guessed at that. Still, I suppose all the former IRA members had to do something following the peace agreement. They pretended they fought for a noble cause before, when in fact, all that they were are gangsters. Sort of like how the original Sicilian Mafia first established itself.

Indeed, the Triads, Russian Mafia, etc. all born of the same fire. I've been looking, but I can't find it on the web, it was shocking though. They spoke to the emergency services who said they are busier now than the whole of the troubles, bombings are up 400% in four years!!! All of this coupled with a massive influx of holiday drunkeness, means that they have their work cut out.

Also, the gangs are now targeting journalists who are reporting on them. Veronica Guerin was the high profile one in 1996. This is very similar to the reign of Riina and Provenzano. Especially Riina when he had Falcone murdered during THE big trial.

I always thought that Ireland was progressing since the troubles were ended and the peace process started. Apparantly not.
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:18 am

Sir Bonvolio wrote:
    Yeah Well Fine Then wrote:

Indeed, the Triads, Russian Mafia, etc. all born of the same fire. I've been looking, but I can't find it on the web, it was shocking though. They spoke to the emergency services who said they are busier now than the whole of the troubles, bombings are up 400% in four years!!! All of this coupled with a massive influx of holiday drunkeness, means that they have their work cut out.

Also, the gangs are now targeting journalists who are reporting on them. Veronica Guerin was the high profile one in 1996. This is very similar to the reign of Riina and Provenzano. Especially Riina when he had Falcone murdered during THE big trial.

I always thought that Ireland was progressing since the troubles were ended and the peace process started. Apparantly not.

Bombings are up 400%???

Surely not.

When was the last time you heard of any radical Republican setting off explosive devices?
    I see...
    I see...

Post  I see... Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:19 am

Didn't say it was politically motivated.
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:36 am

Bombings of what then?

And by who?
    I see...
    I see...

Post  I see... Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:49 am

People with the skills being recruited into gangs. Drugs, money and turf my friend.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:10 am