The Coffee Shop

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Coffee Shop

A place for general discussion on numerous topics including history, news, religion, cultures and more!

2 posters

Criminal Minds

Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Criminal Minds Empty Criminal Minds

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:24 pm

The time for dealing with a criminal mindset, is not when the individual has already formed a career out of violence and robbery.

It is much sooner than that.

Actually, it goes all the way back to a VERY young age, but failing that, we need to deal with the issue better with young offenders.

Here in the UK we have what are called Young Offenders Institutions, for the under 18's.

They used to be called 'borstals', and back in the day, they were pretty brutal places, more so than adult prisons, however, there is no evidence that this brutal environment either made a reasonable civilian out of the kid, or that it acted as a deterrent for other kids.

I think these days they are less brutal, however, that too doesn't seem to really stop these teenage criminals going on to adult prisons.

I have an idea.

Let us get those former cons who have made a go of their life, on the payroll.

There are some older prisoners who turned their back on crime, and in programmes in which they have been used before, to interact with young offenders, it seems that they are able to reach out to the youngster better, talk to him on the same terms, as it were.

These reformed prisoners have been there, done that, and regret their time lost, who better to give the young criminal a real lesson in what a life of crime is likely to lead to?

I also believe that a lot of reformed cons would be prepared to act as quasi parole officers/mentors, as they would feel that they are doing something good, and getting paid to do it.
    Theophilus
    Theophilus

Criminal Minds Empty Re: Criminal Minds

Post  Theophilus Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Interesting. I feel throwing kids into a juvenile prison system does not work. They are still in a developmental stage. I feel that hearing stories from adults who made mistakes could prove helpful. Not just to tell them what may happen if they continue on the path they are on. They need to have hope. Something positive to focus on. I think it comes downs to parents. Most do a good job. A small minority mess things up for the rest of us.
    This small minority does cause problems. Well not just that but divorces, family problems, poverty, and domestic violence play a roll in the problem.
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:46 am

Radical thinking is needed, as there are too many re offenders.

And by radical thinking, it need not be the old 'bring back the birch' brigade, I was thinking of something that would address the issue at the roots.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:32 pm