The Coffee Shop

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Coffee Shop

A place for general discussion on numerous topics including history, news, religion, cultures and more!

3 posters

Curious conflict

Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Curious conflict Empty Curious conflict

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:29 am

Curious.

That is the word I would use to describe this odd conflict in thinking between those who object to 'Government' messing with their private choice, being a nanny state, etc, while at the same time, these self same people want the Government to v much interfere, and most overtly, when it comes to what substances people might want to buy with their own money, use in their own home.

Doesn't anyone else find that a little hypocritical?
    Theophilus
    Theophilus

Curious conflict Empty Re: Curious conflict

Post  Theophilus Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 am

Yeah Well Fine Then wrote:Curious.

That is the word I would use to describe this odd conflict in thinking between those who object to 'Government' messing with their private choice, being a nanny state, etc, while at the same time, these self same people want the Government to v much interfere, and most overtly, when it comes to what substances people might want to buy with their own money, use in their own home.

Doesn't anyone else find that a little hypocritical?

Yes I know I sure do.

It is these kind of people who demand less government intervention in their lives. Then turn around and demand government intervention in everyone's lives but their own. Not only that, but they demand that the tax payers foot the bill.

One thing that made me angry was the way they used the "law" to with purpose, and forethought, to go after the blacks in this country. During the 1980's and into the 1990's. They made the penalties for crack cocaine much worse than penalties for just cocaine. What was the reason you may ask.

Well because crack cocaine was favored by blacks. All crack cocaine is, cocaine using a very simple method, turned into something you can smoke. That is it.
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:27 am

Theophilus wrote:
    One thing that made me angry was the way they used the "law" to with purpose, and forethought, to go after the blacks in this country. During the 1980's and into the 1990's. They made the penalties for crack cocaine much worse than penalties for just cocaine. .

Really? Actually, now that you mention it, I have no idea what the legal difference would be here between cocaine and 'crack' cocaine. I don't think there are any. They are both equally class 'A' drugs, on the same footing, AFAIK.

You mention the '80's and 90's'.

I am right in saying that both have equal legal status in the US now, then?

Steve
    Theophilus
    Theophilus

Post  Theophilus Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Yeah Well Fine Then wrote:
    Theophilus wrote:
    One thing that made me angry was the way they used the "law" to with purpose, and forethought, to go after the blacks in this country. During the 1980's and into the 1990's. They made the penalties for crack cocaine much worse than penalties for just cocaine. .

Really? Actually, now that you mention it, I have no idea what the legal difference would be here between cocaine and 'crack' cocaine. I don't think there are any. They are both equally class 'A' drugs, on the same footing, AFAIK.

You mention the '80's and 90's'.

I am right in saying that both have equal legal status in the US now, then?

Steve

I believe so. I remember there was quite an uproar over the unfairness of the law. It was quite evident what the purpose was. I really have not heard much uproar over it lately. Though there was a rapper who was arrested at an airport for having crack cocaine. I will let you know if I hear more on that story. Though I think it is pretty damn stupid to go into an airport with drugs, and not expect to get caught with them.
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Eric, speaking of those who preach one thing, while doing another, let me ask you what you think of the Government bailing out banks?

On one hand, the uber capitalists tell us that each business, and indeed person, must stand or fall by their own abilities.

They tell us that if a business is not viable, then 'Government' should not prop it up.

Funny how the same people don't say a word when their tax money IS used to bail the banks out.

Funny how they do not complain about their money being used to support the apartheid state of Israel?

Funny.

Just not in a way that makes you laugh....
    lisan24

Post  lisan24 Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:40 pm

This all kind of reminds me of the problem CA is having. In California, medical marijuana is legal, however it's still illegal according to federal law. So the DEA will try and shut down a lot of the places that give out medical marijuana, but they just open back up since it's a legal business in CA.

If you haven't seen it, check out Super High Me. Kind of funny, but with some good points.
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Yeah Well Fine Then
    Admin

Post  Yeah Well Fine Then Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:11 am

Trying to send you a PM.

Can't.

Can you do it?

scratch

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content